Board of Trustees
- Six University Professors, to be selected by the Academic Council Members for a duration of four years;
- Two members of the Constituents Assembly, to be selected by the Constituents Assembly for a period of four years;
- Seven individuals from elite groups, including political, academic, cultural and economic arena, to be selected by the Constituency Assembly for a period of three years;
- Clauses 4 to 7 of the above article stipulates that, during the inaugural meeting of the Board of Trustees, the chairman and secretary of the Board will be selected respectively for 3 and 4 years. Similarly, the university chancellor will represent academic council to BoT meetings.
Board members are categorized in three groups, being selected by Constituents Assembly and academic council. Selected from a pool of academic, cultural, political and economic figures, BoT members are as follow:
- Professor Sarwar Danish, former minister of justice and higher education and former head of legal and judicial board of the president’s office,
- Sima Samar, head of Afghanistan’s Independent Human Rights Commission, political and charity activist,
- Haj Nabi Khalili, Social Influential figure, businessman and economic entrepreneur,
- Haj Nawroz Ali Hamza, Social Influential figure, businessman and economic entrepreneur,
- Engineer Mohammad Naser Ahmadi, social and economic influential figure and general manager f Omran Holding Group,
- Shirbaz Hakimi, Social figure and head of Agha Khan Consulate in Kabul,
Selected by the academic council, six serving or emeritus professors, as follow:
- Professor Malistani (academic figure and Education University Professor),
- Professor Ghafoori (Academic Figure and Kabul University Professor),
- Engineer Ahmad Salehi (Academic figure, Engineering Professor and member of AU academic board),
- Professor Ali Reza Rouhani (Academic figure, Law Professor and member of AU academic board),
- Professor Amir Noori (Academic figure, Economics Professor and member of AU academic board),
- Professor Sayed Masoud (Academic figure and Kabul University Proessor).
Two members, representing the Constituents Assembly, are:
- Sayed Ishaq Alavi (Constituents Assembly Representative),
- Mozaffar Khavari (Constituents Assembly Representative)
The BoT, in its inaugural meeting of the Board of Trustees on 7 July 2013, unanimously appointed Professor Sarwar Danesh as the chairman of the board for three years and Mr. Mozaffar Khavari as secretary of the board for four years. As recommended by the Constituents Assembly, the board also selected Dr. Mohammad Amin Ahmadi as chancellor of Avicenna University for three years.
The Board of Trustees will hold meetings as required and will undertake duties as mandated under article 14 of the AU Statute. Major functions and authorities of the Board of Trustees include: verifying administrative and training procedures, assessing and approving development plans and annual budget, monitoring development of and compliance with a transparent and effective financial and accounting mechanism, modifying organizational structure and attracting financial support and contributions.